Northfield High School
Northfield High School opened its doors in August to two hundred 9th grade students. The school model has of focus of preparing, in a diverse and inclusive environment, every student for success at a competitive four year college. The founders of the school identified the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme as the ideas route to help them reach the goal. It is currently an IB DP candidate school, and plans to attain IB authorization by August, 2017. Upon authorization every student at Northfield High School will participate in the DP at some level.
After a great deal of research, the school has identified area of focus to prepare all students for the rigor of DP:
• Support every student: implement a schoolwide positive psychology approach aligned to the IB Learner Profile
• Create inclusive learning environments: detrack all core academic classes
• Empower faculty: faculty will work in teams following a cohort of students over 4 years
• Schedule smartly: later start; 90 minute block schedule; lengthen the school year
• Offer courses and curricula that fit the instructional vision